To potty train or not to potty train. That is my potty training dilemma. My girls are nearly three. In fact their birthday is racing up at lightening speed and more and more I’m starting to wonder whether we should attempt potty training for the second time. It’s been five months since I quit potty training. I told myself I was going to wait until I was sure they were ready but now I just keep second guessing myself.
Back at the start of the year, when I first tried with Jess, I was convinced she was ready. Well clearly she wasn’t. I really, really don’t want to start and then need to stop again and so I’m using every delay tactic possible. Secretly, I think I’ve been hoping that they’ll be one of those children you read about who just turns around and says ‘Mummy I don’t want to wear a nappy anymore’ and that’ll be it. Does that really happen? I’m still hopeful.
There are a few reasons I’m keen to just get it done.
1) They are ridiculous too big to use the pull down changing tables when we are out and about. Seriously. I sometimes worry they will pull the whole thing off the wall and end up in a poo covered mess on the floor.
2) I’ve started to be self conscious that they are still in nappies. I know it’s probably all in my head but I think people are judging me that they are not even starting to use the toilet yet.
3) They have a morning session at preschool starting after Christmas. Although it’s not a requirement to be toilet trained, it’d be nice to send them in pants.
Just as I think I’ve convinced myself to just do it, I start finding reasons not too.
1) They still haven’t actually shown me they’re ready. I’m not sure what I want them to do but so far there has been very little toilet interest. Well other than to come and stare at me while I pee but that’s just regular child behaviour right.
2) We have outings and a mini break planned and I would rather not have to be scrambling to the nearest loo or be on constant edge. Nappies are so much more predictable.
3) I just don’t want too!
So what should I do about my potty training dilemma? Any advice would be warmly welcomed because right now I just don’t trust my own judgement. Did you just know or was there something specific that made you give it a go? Who else tried, failed and then succeeded the second time around. I’m wondering what I would do differently.